Saturday 27 January 2007

Openings

I have joined a fabulous new mail art collective, I'm so excited by this, I've always wanted to do this, ever since I discovered Fluxus when I was researching for my dissertation, so now I have until the 19th of February to make and send something. I already have something in mind. Something suprising and new and air mail friendly.

It's also been quite a topsy turvy week. Lots of disagreements, life changing decisions, broken picture frames and lots and lots of book folding, which in some way has been my therapy. I've left my job, to focus on my art, I never thought it would ever happen, it's so easy to get comfortable with a regular income but there are lots of opportunities open to me now, it's funny how one door closes, another one opens.

Here is a poem because It's also a time to remember I am a poet as well as an artist and I haven't written one in ages. This isn't new, I'm only posting it to remind me of myself and what I do, and also what I am not.

Openings

I open the bill
but don’t pay it
I never pay it
It is more than one pound
which is all the money
I have in the world till Friday
in silver coins
but not fifties
(I always feel slightly rich when I have fifties)

I open your front door
with the keys you had cut for me that
I never use
there are cats darting other ways
but I am drunk and
you prefer dogs which I don’t like
and I feel the bill is my compensation

I open my mouth
to taste the red liquor kissed
cigarette stained tongue
with a toothbrush that I didn’t buy
it is pink
(for a girl I suppose)
you open out the shower curtain and leave the
toilet seat up

Tomorrow it is Friday and
I think about all the fifties in the world

No comments: