Wednesday 27 June 2007

Librarians really are dull, but books still rock

I've been working in a library these past two days. I thought I would love it, that I would fall madly in love with books all over again, but I really didn't. It was tedious mundane boring work. It made me miss filing and stuffing envelopes, I was really just a shop assistant in a library standing around for hours on end pretending to look busy. Sometimes I got to repair a book cover (with sellotape and copydex... my bookbinding tutors would have died) that was good, but it really just made me think of my unfinished projects at home, and my bonefolder. So today I am free again, to tidy my flat and revisit my collection of papers. I might go to paperchase today and go and smell the stationery.

I also have a new lodger. He's staying with me for 6 weeks until his house is sorted. It's nice having someone about the place again, he's going to help increase my alcohol tolerance, I think it could be dangerous.

1 comment:

Anna Betts said...

I know what you mean about librarian duties. I'm now at a stage in my career (if you can call flukily stumbling into a job that!) that I get to search card index systems, catalogue aerial photos and play with maps all day! It's certainly a step up from handing out books. And any visitors who want to view the collection have to make an appointment - we don't want any riff-raff just turning up now!
I'm absolutely loving the degree work - stunning.
Anna :)